Monday 1 May 2017

13 Reasons Why

So I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and talk about the show that everyone seems to be talking about - 13 Reasons Why.  If you don't know what it is about, look it up and keep an open mind.

I just binged watched it over the weekend, the flu made me do it ;)

I don't know where to start.  No matter what I say there will be people for and against.

What I will say is that I think it is a good show for parents to watch with their teenagers.  It raises SO many issues that they may be facing.

I'm not saying binge-watch it like I did.  I'm saying watch an episode, with a warning from me that there are some extremely confronting issues, and then talk about them at the end.  I know as a kid I would have found this hard to do with my parents, and now as a parent, I hope with all my heart that I will be able to talk to my kid when the time comes.

A big thing I took away from it is everyone is always caught up in their own shit that they forget to acknowledge the people in their lives who are close to them, or they are afraid to say too much.  Whether it be that they don't want to embarrass the person, will scare them off, or don't know what to say.  Just say it.  Write it down if you need.  Tell this person that they mean the world to you, every single day.

Another takeaway, speak up LOUDLY when bad things are happening to you (and there is no scale when it comes to measuring bad), don't think that people are too busy or don't care enough.  I wish I had sought more guidance when I was a kid on how to "survive" high school and not take so much on board.  If kids were given options, support, and tools that they can really use, then we may spare them some pain.

I was so impressed with this show and how it was so relatable to not just this generation.  A lot of the stuff that happened went down when I was growing up.  Cyber-bullying has unfortunately added a whole new heartbreaking level to it all.

I'm sure it will raise some more thoughts for me but I will leave it here for now  I hope that parents and kids can take away a lot from this show, especially the fact that honest and constant communication is key in any relationship. <3


No comments:

Post a Comment