Tuesday 20 August 2013

Check your Mirrors and Sound the Horn

Yesterday was a day where I struggled. There didn't appear to be any reason why I was feeling down, and because of this blog I actually sat down and tried to figure it out (yay me!).


Check your mirrors - I realised I had been around some very negative people and this seems to affect me a lot. They got me on a weak day where I wasn't the positive and full of life gal I try to be. That was my first realisation. Although it is sometimes hard to remove yourself from these kind of people (co-workers down to shopkeepers), you can make a conscious effort to either not get involved in their negativity by not commenting or spin it into a positive. There are two ways they will react to this - not be negative with you anymore as they can't "feed" off you or become a bit more positive themselves! Either way it's a win-win for you.  Try and surround yourself with as much positivity as you can handle (people, books, music, good food - whatever makes you joyful!).

I also didn't listen to my daily podcast on the way to work, which generally gets me into a good frame of mind. I have been enjoying
David Wood from The Kickass Life and Dean Dwyer of Make Shift Happen. Both are run by no BS men who have such an honest and fun outlook on life, just what I need!

The other thing I did was give my hubby a warning before I got home. I sent him a text saying I am hoping to lift my mood before I get there (listening to music, changing my thoughts, breathing etc). It didn't happen but I got home to an understanding man who was ready to take the reins. Previously I would have just snapped at him and left him wondering what he had done wrong.  

Sound the horn - I must admit it took a lot of courage to open up to my hubby and tell him what is going on in my head and sometimes there is no specific reason for it. I have done this with him and some close friends and family, so I have a bit of a support network.  This support may be in the form of a listening ear or someone to jump in and fold your washing!
 

Some friends didn't know how to take my depression and have taken a back seat.  I am now ok with that (of course I was hurt at first). Most people don't know how to deal with depression, but if you have it in you to look further into how you can help there is a multitude of resources such as Beyond BlueLifeline or PANDA for post and antenatal depression (these are based in Australia).

If you are someone who is reading this and dealing with depression (or even think you might be), then these places can really help.

A big thing I learned yesterday is give yourself a break and don't beat yourself up if you are feeling that way. I gave lots of cuddles to my little girl, I ate a lovely dinner and hugged my husband for the rest of the night.  Quite blissful now I look back on it.  CUCO - Chin Up Chest Out!


No comments:

Post a Comment