Sunday 18 August 2013

What's it all about?


So here it is, my first EVER blog post!

Why the name “Hug the Black Dog”?? A couple reasons:

-          My plan is for this blog is to be about embracing depression – hence hugging the Black Dog.  Having a “Black Dog on your back” is a reference to depression which Winston Churchill once famously quoted.  He spoke of the menacing, growling beast that waits in the shadows and can strike at any second.  My take is instead of fearing that dog; you give it a pat, some kind words or even a treat!

-          I also own a black dog and she is the loveliest, happiest and most beautiful dog I know, she represents the opposite of what a “Black Dog” should be. 

I have just this week decided that instead of being the strong one, playing the martyr and ignoring my own needs, I will honour my depression, with which I have dealt with for years (I prefer not to use the word struggle).  I plan to blog about the range of moods I experience and may learn for me (and others if it happens that way) – why they happen, what I can do when they occur, what the world can offer when I am not coping, what I can share with the world when I have my good moments (and there are plenty of them!).

This is something I am initially doing for me but I decided on a blog as it makes me accountable and if someone can get a little bit of respite from something I have said, or know they are not alone in this world, then that is enough for me J

My personal feeling is that depression is not discussed enough and especially in my culture it is brushed under the rug.  Why not embrace it and be in touch with the REAL you?  I think I may end up realising I like the real me and the friends that decide to stick around in the process.

I don’t know how often I will post here; it’s a trial and error thing.  I haven’t put my real name as I will be talking about family etc and they deserve privacy (it’s a good place for my hubby to come check up on me too!).  So if you have read this, thank you, welcome and please share the real you with me!  Elly J

No comments:

Post a Comment