Sunday 18 August 2013

Getting over the Overwhelm

One emotion I experience a lot is overwhelm - the shortness of breath, the feeling that everything is flying at you too fast, not enough hours in the day, everybody wants a piece of you and there is no time left for you.  Sounds pretty normal for a lot of people when I say it like that!

The first thing I need to remind myself to do is Take a Deep Breath (or as many as I need), there are breathing techniques you can learn to cope with things such as panic attacks.  The technique I was taught is as follows:

  • Take a deep breath in, hold it for 5 seconds
  • Breathe out and then hold that for 5 seconds
  • Breathe in and hold it for 3 seconds
  • Breathe out and hold it for 3 seconds
  • then repeat the last 2 steps 10 times (total)
  • finish off with holding it for 5 seconds
This was taught to me by a Doctor when I was experiencing panic attacks and it worked really well for me (distracting me from the issue at hand).  I showed a few different people in my circle of friends who I spent a lot of time with, in case I had a panic attack and couldn't remember the steps. 

The next thing for me would be to Get OrganisedI previously did up a family planner which I will go home tonight and fill out.  I did up a table and then laminated it so I can write on it each week and stick it on the fridge, the columns would be:

Across the top - the days of the week

Down the side are:

Me - including exercise time, time for me (yes I plan to get at least 1 hour a week!), appointments and social plans

Hubby - similar to mine

Kids (listed separately) - day-care days, appointments, nights away

Meals - dinner each night

Notes - necessary things to be done each day (feed animals, perhaps one cleaning job a day)


Lastly if it is all too much for me in a day, I ask myself "If I don't do this will it be detrimental to me or my family??".  An example of this is cleaning - things such as tidying and making beds, if I don't do them one day and give myself a little break to prioritise other things, it is not going to affect me or anyone else is a serious manner.  Sometimes I need to chill out and not sweat the small stuff (my hubby is better at pointing these things out to me!).

This has been a good little reminder for me today, I hope it works for you too!

Elly







4 comments:

  1. Such good advice! Thank you.
    I think it is good to remember to breathe deeply. Thank you for reminding me of this today.
    May I share, when I feel overwhelmed, I take the Bach Flower Remedy - Elm. It works wonders for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing Andrea! Where can you buy this remedy? Is it something that can be purchased through you?

      Delete
    2. I do have Elm available in my practice, however it can also be easily purchased over the counter at most health food stores, and some pharmacies, where Bach Flower Remedies are sold.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete